I recently wrote about successful non high tech businesses abroad and movies was one of them (TV shows also). Let me list here a few elements around that trend
- Beaufort is a movie was recently nominated at the academy awards
- betipul is being adapted by HBO under In treatments.
- I recently saw on TV that a young movie producer was hired by a major for a big production.
- Eytan fox is on the list of hot new talents with walking on the water that received good reviews in the US.
- Spielberg used recently a few Israeli actors for Munich.
- We already have a international star with Natalie Portman.
- I just saw the excellent "we own the night" where an israeli actor Moni Moshonov holds the role of the Godfather. I like very much this actor (specially in the funny series ktsarim), although i did not find him convincing in this role. [sidenote: the tech billionaire Marc Cuban is an exec producer ]
The Israeli movie industry is not very mature and probably not the most regarded internationally but all of those elements started in the last 5 years.
I would not be surprised to see some day our best Israeli actors (and we do have a few, not many but a few) going to a full career in Hollywood like Antonio Banderas did when he left Spain.