Israel is probably one of the only countries i know where you can negotiate virtually anything. I mean anything. For good and for bad.
Another stunning thing is that most of the time most service providers (telphone..) will not inform (or will do it in a very bad way) of a change of price of service (specially if it goes down) and i personnally ended paying more for longer many times.
Most services company in Israel hardly use direct mail (for cost reason i guess) and expect you to be aware of all terms of your contract (end of promotion, new prices published on their website,..)
Which makes me UPSET. REALLY UPSET.
And therefore you have to get used to complaining to get your point. And complaining is an art/sport that is took me time to learn in Israel. So if you are new to this country here is some tips
I will illustrate it with an example that shows how much you can earn from it.
I discovered yesterday that YES my Cable TV was charge me an Extra dollar for France 2. I discovered it by chance. which started to get me hot. Instead of sending a mail or even an email, they published a small tv message accessible only if you know to read hebrew by pressing a green button on your remote control. Meaning no chance to get the message (that mentions i will be charged automatically)
Anyway, this put me in a total rage after France 2 was stop being broadcast here and then came back after thousands of people complained about it. So here is what happens this morning.
- I called them to say i am a good customers and that when i susbscribed France 2 was included in the Package and that i did not want to pay a dime more.
- The tele operator tried to justify it (a lot of BullShit).
- I told him i was ready to cancel half of my channels against France 2 which is one of my last links to France
- Stubborn as i was the operator could not do anything.
- then i said “ I WANT TO RESILIATE MY CONTRACT”
- Then he transfered me to a special “crisis” service
- Total different attitude. The guy was ready to listen and “negotiate”
- I explained the situation. And i not only got the same package for the same price but also a reduction on my DSL subscription.
- Call once every 6/12 months your providers
- Do not hesitate to complain. Of course you need a valid reason
- Don t waste your time with the operator. Get quickly to the next level
- If you formulate right your request you ll get what you want.
I use that pattern often and IT WORKS. I got recently a Free pizza with all supplements and drings, i reduced my phone bill by 50% and even got a lot of extra miles to my frequent flyer.
Why do i do that? for the money? no (at the end of the end it is nothing).
- Because many are like me and i would like to share (specially with those new in Israel)
- because i believe this attitude can be very helpful in many desparate situation (specially when you face administrations)